On Thursday, President Trump said he was ‘not concerned’ about the possibility of being exposed to the coronavirus after dining last week with a Brazilian government official who has since tested positive for the disease.
Trump made light of his possible exposure to the virus, which has sickened more than 126,000 people in a worldwide pandemic. “Let’s put it this way: I’m not concerned,” Trump told reporters while meeting with Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar in the Oval Office.
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who had been at the dinner with Trump in Palm Beach, Florida, has been tested for coronavirus and is awaiting the result, his son Eduardo wrote on Twitter, adding that the president was not showing any symptoms. Brazilian officials on Thursday confirmed that Brazil’s communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, has the coronavirus and is now under quarantine at his home.
White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said Trump and Pence had “almost no interactions” with the Brazilian official and that they “do not require being tested at this time.” She added, “we are monitoring the situation closely and will update everyone as we get more information.”
Editorial credit: Gil Corzo / Shutterstock.com